Bought jump rings for chain maille

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 27 Feb 2013 12:48 AM

I've been trying to make some chain maille jewelry and bought a lot of ready made jump rings. These seem to be closed but the ends slightly overlap and I can hear a click when I open them as though they are stuck together. 

My question is whether or not I need to unstick and re-close them for the "closed" rings in the chain maille, or should I just leave them as they are?

I think they are more firmly closed already, than they are with me opening them just to close them again.

What does everyone else do? 

I realise I could make them myself, but haven't got a saw yet, plus if we're talking about hundreds of tiny jump rings is it really worth making them yourself?

Thanks for any help!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 67
caseysharpe wrote
on 14 Mar 2013 10:18 PM

I would probably just leave them alone for the closed rings.  You are opening your rings sideways, instead of directly back from the openings, right?  (Just in case no one mentioned it!)  It's definitely the way to go- keeps your rings much rounder.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 15 Mar 2013 2:39 AM

Thanks Casey.   I've actually got a lot quicker now at opening and closing jump rings but as you suggest, the ones that don't have to be opened I leave as they are, at least the very tiny ones.

I've decided that if they're larger than 5mm ID then I have to open and close them again (sideways of course) as I feel the overlapping ends, although strong, are too visible.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS