Bending Fork Tines

This post has 9 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
Hotglass1 wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 1:23 AM

Hi, I would like to know how to bend the tines on 'silver plated' forks without marking them.  I have tried all kinds of pliers, I've used pieces of leather and I have annealed the forks but there always seems to be some damage?  I have seen work by others where they have used silver plate (not sterling) and there is no damage apparent.  I have tried to find out the correct method with no luck.  Can any one help me?

Cheers,

Lindsey

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 105
Tom and Kay wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 9:19 AM

Hi Lindsey, we would like to include your question in an upcoming column, please email your name, city and state to us at kbenham@cfl.rr.com.  We will do some research on this topic and get back to you shortly.  Thanks for your interest, Tom & Kay

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 17 Mar 2013 5:35 PM

I would also like to know how to bend fork tynes. If you could forward your info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
Hotglass1 wrote
on 17 Mar 2013 6:18 PM

Hi Tom & Kay,

Have you had any luck with an answer to my question?  You see so many people wearing fork jewellery that you would think there would be a lot of creative people out there with some advise - unless they all want to keep it to themselves? LOL.

Cheers... Lindsey

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 105
Tom and Kay wrote
on 25 Jun 2013 3:24 PM

Hi Lindsey,  Here's our response:

It sounds like you've tried some of the right things but we've got a few suggestions for you to try.  Keep in mind that the sharp, square inside edges of pliers will mark sterling silver even if wrapped in lightweight leather because the steel is so much harder than the silver.  We suggest that you alter their sharp edges using 100 grit emery cloth strips to produce a nice smooth radius on each sharp edge of the pliers to eliminate most of the marks on the silver.  Combining these smoothed edges with leather should prove even more beneficial.  If you are still getting marks try sanding an even larger radius.  We found that most of the marking occurs when attempting to make a very tight curve so it is best not to try to bend too much at a time.  To make a tight curve, we found it’s best to bend the silver a little bit then move the pliers a fraction of an inch then bend a little more continuing until you get the curve you desire.  You don't need to follow this practice on long sweeping curves.  Sometimes it's the small details that really make the difference.  Good luck

Thank you for your continued interest.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 105
Tom and Kay wrote
on 25 Jun 2013 3:25 PM

Here's our response to Lindsay's question:

It sounds like you've tried some of the right things but we've got a few suggestions for you to try.  Keep in mind that the sharp, square inside edges of pliers will mark sterling silver even if wrapped in lightweight leather because the steel is so much harder than the silver.  We suggest that you alter their sharp edges using 100 grit emery cloth strips to produce a nice smooth radius on each sharp edge of the pliers to eliminate most of the marks on the silver.  Combining these smoothed edges with leather should prove even more beneficial.  If you are still getting marks try sanding an even larger radius.  We found that most of the marking occurs when attempting to make a very tight curve so it is best not to try to bend too much at a time.  To make a tight curve, we found it’s best to bend the silver a little bit then move the pliers a fraction of an inch then bend a little more continuing until you get the curve you desire.  You don't need to follow this practice on long sweeping curves.  Sometimes it's the small details that really make the difference.  Good luck

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7
bobhdus wrote
on 26 Jul 2013 8:56 AM

I came across a customer that wanted stainless fork tines bent and found the sane problem you did. Annealing to soften discolored it too much so I found that it is better to use forks that have longer and thinner tines. Also had some old forks made by Oneida Community and they are some kind of plated material (not silver and they had.a gold hue to them that polished off). Anyways, these bent beautifully... I had to polish them first then do a final polish after bending. I used some knipex pliers that have rounded jaws and I made a little jig to bend with out of some flat steel and it has two dowel pins on the end. I can send pics of my tools if your interested. Pm me if you are.  I hope this helps. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
Hotglass1 wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 7:24 AM

Hi bobhdus, this is a very late reply to your answer about bending fork tines.  You offered to send photos of the tools you have used and I'd love to see them if that's still okay?  I couldn't find how to PM you so perhaps if you know how to do this you could PM me and we'll take it from there?

Cheers .... Hotglass1

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7
bobhdus wrote
on 18 Mar 2014 6:25 PM

Sure thing! I will take some pics and forward to you. Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Tabdesigner wrote
on 10 Apr 2014 8:56 PM

Can you send it to me as well please.. Thank you in advance 😄

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS