Silverplate Flatware

This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
trawetsal wrote
on 19 Aug 2012 4:59 PM

I am attempting to make some rings and keychains out of silverplated flatware.  I've made several rings using cupernil to prevent firescale, annealing with a torch on a charcoal block, quenching in water then forming (by hand and using a mallet) around a tapered ring mandrel.  I am wondering what additional tools are helpful, as I am having difficulty forming the metal.  Thoughts?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8
lesliewatch wrote
on 17 Sep 2012 4:31 AM

Basically these skills are owned by craftsman,how to utilise flatware handles or silverplate to make it keychain or rings out of it.

In my opinion, I think if you follow this procedure it will help you:

You can make the rings by heating the silverplate  in propane torch, let it get dull,red,then remove it from flame. Place that plate in cold water,make it completely cool off before removing it from water. Take some cylindrical shaped instrument so that you can be able give your ring perfect shaped. Now put that plate according to the shape roll it of you will get smaller bracelet & larger bracelet. Then hammer it against the mandrel, it will shape & bend metal without marring it.

There is no certain or specific tool for it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 9
n2it wrote
on 23 Nov 2012 3:13 PM

Be careful when heating silver plate.  It is, after all, just plated silver  and you don't know what the base is under it.  Heat in a well-ventilated area, and don't get too hot or the silver will start to draw up and your ring will be ruined.  Before bending, file the cut edge and smooth it.  The most difficult area to bend is usually the end of the spoon handle where the decoration is.  Put the decorative tip of the flatware in a vise (yes, you need a vise for plated flatware) with thick  leather covering the jaws---just get it deep enough in the vise that it will hold it while you try to bend it..  Use a hide hammer  and whale away at it; this stuff is hard.  .Sterling spoons are soooo much easier (and usually thinner)!   If you can get the decorated end of the spoon bent into an arc you will have done the hard part.  The shaft of the spoon will more easly curve around your mandrel.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS