Need help IDing a stone

This post has 11 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 16 Feb 2012 8:04 PM

We bought this rough rock so long ago no one remembers what it is. We believe it is some kind of jasper, and have guesses so far of Mookaite jasper, Mary Ellen jasper, Painted Desert jasper, and Paint Brush jasper. Any ideas? Pictures are posted below.

Thanks for your help!

Wrapture Jewelry

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WraptureJewelry

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 371
BogIron wrote
on 17 Feb 2012 4:03 PM

Looks like Paint Brush jasper to me.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
dcsmithsart wrote
on 21 Feb 2012 8:24 AM

It's Picasso Jasper. The stone comes in many colors and has random lines and patterns. Sometimes it forms very definite images. One of my favorites to grind and polish. Sometimes it polishes to a high shine - and sometimes it stays matte no matter how much you try to polish it. Either way it's an interesting and amazing stone - very easy to sell in a design because it's so unusual.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 106
Tom and Kay wrote
on 21 Feb 2012 10:46 AM

Hi - Beautiful stone.  Will do some research to see what we can find.  It does look like jasper - just have to narrow it down.  We'd also like to use your question and photos in our print column in the magazine.  We'd like to include yur name, city and state with your question.  Please forward this info to us at your earliest convenience to us at kbenham@cfl.rr.com.   We'd also like to include one or both of your photos so we will need you to send them in .jpeg format, 4" x 3" format and at least 300 dpi.  If need be, just send the original photos that we can resize for you.  Thanks for your question, will post a response as soon as we can pin it down.  Best regards, Tom & Kay Benham

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
rkymtndrmr wrote
on 21 Feb 2012 1:38 PM

i agree its picasso stone picasso stone is not a jasper if you cant get a polish on it use zam on a muslam buff just like you would ith the copper stones

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 106
Tom and Kay wrote
on 23 Mar 2012 3:29 PM
Hi, We've put your question and photos in our July 2012 column.  We haven't been able to pin down a name for your stone so far.  No dealers at the recent gem show had a name for you.  Hopefully, we'll get a response from some of our readers.

It is a challenge to identify a stone from photo.  We do agree with you that is most likely a jasper.  It does not resemble any picasso stone that we've come across.  Keep in mind that jasper frome one source may have many names attributed to it depending on the dealer selling it.  We try to catalog all of our stones, but often for get to make a note, thus we have several "mystery jaspers" in our stash of stones.  We'll be sure to let you know if we receive any responses from our column.

Thanks for contacting us -- please send other questions if you have them.  Best regards, Tom & Kay Benham
Not Ranked
Posts 2
brianchi wrote
on 27 Dec 2012 12:46 AM

I just got this, i was also wondering what it was.  Nice now i know!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
brianchi wrote
on 27 Dec 2012 12:49 AM

Nice to be here and thanks for the info.  I make my own jewelry and collect minerals and polish them.   here is my website.  Have a wonderful new year :)

http://earthchi.weebly.com/  

Not Ranked
Posts 4
dlcgems wrote
on 11 Mar 2013 3:57 PM

I know that this is an old thread, but there needs to be some clarification on this stone.

There are currently two stones on the lapidary market today that go by the moniker "Picasso" Stone/marble/jasper. One is a marble mined in the mountains above Minersville, UT. The other is a stone from China, that I consider to be a lower quality version of the Chinese Cherry Creek Jasper that was very popular a few years ago.  The stones in this thread are the Chinese variety, commonly marketed as "Picasso Jasper".  The Utah material is usually identified as Picasso Marble or Picasso Stone and is predominately black, grey, cream, brown, tan colors. Pink and other hues of red do not occur in the Utah stuff.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rockystone wrote
on 20 Jan 2014 3:54 PM

Certainly NOT picasso jasper of any kind! 

I'm 100% sure the correct identification is dynasty jasper from Durango, Mexico.  Hasn't really been aggressively marketed for awhile but you can see some examples here:  http://www.greatrough.com/rough_jasper_dynasty.shtml 

It has been my experience that this material is frequently problematic when slabbing & cabbing, with annoying breakage along the many lines of pattern, and/or undercutting & pits when trying to polish.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 106
Tom and Kay wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 2:33 PM

Hi, we'd like to include your comments as a follow up in our in print column for LJJA.  Please email your name, city and state to us at kbenham@cfl.rr.com

Thanks for your interest, Tom & Kay Benham, Contributing Editors, Ask The Experts, Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 150
mirkaba wrote
on 1 Feb 2014 12:35 PM

I have no idea what the trade name might be for this rock but it appears to be a silicized rhyolite. Makes great cabs and is fun to look for interesting scenes in. On the down sides it tends to come apart where the fractures are not well healed.

Gathering dust in Montana.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS