Galvanized Seed Beads

This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 12 Oct 2011 1:18 PM

]Does anyone know of a fixative for galvanized beads to keep them colorfast?  The color is wearing off even as I bead. Beadergal.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 369
BogIron wrote
on 13 Oct 2011 5:06 PM

The galvanized plating must be very thin for it to just wear off while you are beading. I just don't know what you could put on to protect a galvanized coating that thin if it is wearing of while it is is being beaded just think what will happen when it is worn. I would rethink the galvanized bead idea and look into another option.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 183
SEllen 2 wrote
on 16 Oct 2011 10:16 AM

Welcome Barbara,

I personally don't use galvanized beads for exactly this reason. On JMD's sister site Beading Daily we have had several discussions about this particular topic but I don't recall anyone saying anything about a fixitive.

Perhaps if you go over to http://beadingdaily.com and do a forum search you might find more information. If not you could always post the question there as there are many more seed bead users that check in there.

Sorry I could not be of more help.Sad

p.s Since you are a member here you are already a member there just use the same login information for BD as you use here.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

http://Suzdesigns.ShopHandmade.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 369
BogIron wrote
on 16 Oct 2011 5:55 PM

After some more thought I could only think of using Krylon spray fixative like I would spray on my pencil drawings to keep them from smudging so badly. That's all I could think of or hair spray but eventually it all rubs away and leaves the galvanized bead to rub against you clothing which will leave a gray smudge.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Becky Lynne wrote
on 8 Dec 2011 12:30 PM

I don't know if you found your answer, but in one of my craft books it suggests and acrylic spray or clear nail polish to help make the colours for the beads steadfast... I don't know if this would work on Galvanized beads or not.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 11 Sep 2012 3:23 PM

The new Miyuki 'Duracoat' galvanized beads that came out last year were an attempt to fix this problem, and from what I've heard, they wear very well.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS