HELP!!!!!!! Making two earrings look the same

This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 14 Oct 2010 6:53 PM

OMG....

I started wire wrapping and weaving.  I am great with pendants, but what is UP with my BRAIN???!!!!!

I cannot get two earrings to match in size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I even make the pair at the same time.  Apparently, my brain is left/right and not evenly distributed.

Would appreciate learned suggestions......

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 183
SEllen 2 wrote
on 15 Oct 2010 1:58 PM

creativehabits:
I cannot get two earrings to match in size!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Been there. 

I made my niece some wire woven earrings and had the same problem. I find it's a little easier to keep shape and size if I use something solid to help with the basic shaping and sizing. I make my own jigs. I use wood or whatever I can find from jars to toy tops as long as it is the same basic size and shape I'm looking for. It also gets easier to maintain size and shape once you get started wrapping or at least it seems to for me.

If you post a picture of work in progress perhaps we could give you better advise as to what maybe going wrong.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

http://Suzdesigns.ShopHandmade.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 18 Oct 2010 7:20 AM

Thanks!  I will attempt another pair this weekend.  I think that there is also an issue with weaving too tightly as well as needing to use some type of jig.  I don't have a photo taken yet, but will also do that this weekend and post for more input.

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kasteele wrote
on 22 Oct 2010 7:17 AM

The jig sounds interesting - can you put up a picture of what your jigs look like?

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 183
SEllen 2 wrote
on 29 Oct 2010 5:02 PM

Hmm umm...okay.

Maybe I used the wrong term "jigs" than what you're expecting. I do have a metal Thinga-ma-jig that I use for small stuff. I don't use it much though.

Anyway, here are my most frequently used "Jigs"

Just think in terms of basic shape. Anything solid can be a basic "jig". For more elaborate needs you can make your own jigs from wood with nails spaced out for required shape.kwim?

Well those are mine I hope they helped.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 21
Memoosim wrote
on 29 Oct 2010 7:45 PM

LOL..... your jigs look a lot like mine. Wink

Cherie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
on 11 Sep 2012 5:27 AM

Hi,

It looks interesting.......i never heard before...!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
HyacenthLee wrote
on 2 Feb 2013 2:31 AM

Do you have any pictures there? So that we can suggest what would be best matches you or the design of the earrings.

If you are going to make it on your own, make sure that there is someone you can ask for to weigh if it's nice. If it's equal or whatever you asks.

Hmmm.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 8 Jun 2014 7:46 AM

I have the same problem as the original post. I have made earrings that were beautiful and then turn and can't get the next pair to look right. I would like your comments in the best wire to use.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 8 Jun 2014 7:47 AM

I have the same problem as the original post. I have made earrings that were beautiful and then turn and can't get the next pair to look right. I would like your comments in the best wire to use.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 8 Jun 2014 7:47 AM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 183
SEllen 2 wrote
on 8 Jun 2014 2:32 PM

earringproject:
I would like your comments in the best wire to use.

I use dead soft wire.

It is easier to manipulate and it will work harden as you wrap and bend  and shape. The guages that I use most are 18ga & 20 ga. If you are working from a pattern use what is suggested if you can.

As you work with the wire and get a feel for how it bends and shapes it will get easier to make things look the same.

But also remember that when you are making things by hand you aren't going to have mirror images of each other. Even if you are using a jig or some sort of guide to make your shapes. That's just the nature of anything you make by hand.

I hope this was of some help. Good Luck.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS