Make pickle? For soldering

This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8
Gail Rooney wrote
on 4 May 2010 8:56 AM

I now live in Mexico where supplies are hard to get. Can someone tell me if there is a home product that can be used when I run out of pickle?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
albalmer wrote
on 4 May 2010 10:18 AM

The active ingredient in Sparex is sodium bisulfate, which can be purchased as a pH reducer for swimming pools. One brand name is pH Down. The swimming pool products are actually better than Sparex, which has a lot of impurities.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Helen Driggs wrote
on 4 May 2010 11:27 AM

Hi Gail! If you can find Tang drink mix, it makes a great non-toxic pickle solution. Mix it up thick -- like the viscosity of half and half. Otherwise, warm vinegar will work. And PH down chemical for swimming pools...

Not Ranked
Posts 2
albalmer wrote
on 4 May 2010 11:37 AM

Helen Driggs:
If you can find Tang drink mix

Or anything else that contains citric acid. Lemon juice, lemonade mix, etc. You'll have to make sure you thoroughly wash off the sugar and other junk.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8
Gail Rooney wrote
on 4 May 2010 11:54 AM

You guys are really terrific. SmileTHANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES.Big Smile Now, I have another question along the same lines, but I will put it into a new post, in case someone else has the same question.

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8
Gail Rooney wrote
on 4 May 2010 12:03 PM

OH, I forgot to ask, Should I heat the vinigar/lemon juice like I do the pickle?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,195
on 4 May 2010 12:42 PM

Hi Gail! Yep, you should heat it. Pickle always works better hot.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 4 May 2010 6:05 PM

THank you all for your answers. I'm living in South Korea, and it's hard to get some things here too. Not many people here have swimming pools, so i don't know where to get ph down. However, I will try the lemon juice/vinaiger idea.

Now i just need something to heat it in. What do most people use? I would get a small crock pot, but those can't be found here in korea. Alternatives?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 371
BogIron wrote
on 4 May 2010 6:22 PM

No crock pots? I have used other small appliances such as electric fry pans with water in them with a Pyrex measuring cup set in them with white vinegar, kind of like a double boiler for a pickle pot. Not the best solution but when nothing else is handy you use what you have.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8
Gail Rooney wrote
on 4 May 2010 6:46 PM

Oh - another expat - I certainly understand where you are coming from. Here in Mexico, I can find very little in the way of chemicals needed in some processes. As for what to heat it in, I use a small electric teapot. Also, you may try consignment stores or thrift stores there, By the way, I luckily found PH Down here, wonder of wonders. It is probably the first thing I have found here with the name I was given to look for. So, thanks everyone for this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 21
Memoosim wrote
on 9 May 2010 5:48 AM

I have an old 1 cup rice pot that I use on the "keep warm" setting.  It's actually best for me since I forget things a lot Smile and it shuts off automatically after 2 hours.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 88
on 11 May 2010 3:50 PM

Hi Gail--I lived i Chile for 3 years, and I used a "sour salt" which is used in sourdough bread.  I don't know if you can get it in your part of Mexico, so I found that you can get it from King Arthur Flour Baker's catalogue, and check this:  

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/sour-salt-citric-acid  

The  item number 2296.   

Good luck,

Lexi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 371
BogIron wrote
on 11 May 2010 7:44 PM

I'm sure they do canning in Mexico so maybe they also have alum available too or maybe you can get some from the pharmacy.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CBLori wrote
on 28 Feb 2014 12:43 AM

Rice cookers. Same thing as a crock pot.

I live an an area inundated with Asians. Every store sells rice cookers in all sizes. Most are made in China, Taiwan or Korea...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS