Getting a matte finish on cabs

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
rtucker6 wrote
on 26 Feb 2013 5:59 PM

Can you give me some detail about getting a nice, velvety finish on some of my cabs?  

So far I've learned I'll need to bring them up to a polish on my grinding wheels first, then use a vibratory tumbler.  That's where it gets confusing.... the vast array of grits, fillers, ceramic media...do I use these with water?  I'm going in circles!  A little help, please?

Robin Tucker

Clermont, FL

Not Ranked
Posts 4
rtucker6 wrote
on 7 Mar 2013 8:54 AM

Anyone??   Confused

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 18
LindaO@27 wrote
on 8 Mar 2013 7:19 PM

Why are you bringing them up to pre-polish?  Get your shape and then just take it to about a 400 grit.

This will give you a much softer mat finish.

Linda

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 67
caseysharpe wrote
on 9 Mar 2013 3:25 AM

I like to use foam sanding sheets in ultrafine or superfine grits.  They're flexible, so the conform to cab surfaces, but they give a pretty good polish.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
rtucker6 wrote
on 11 Mar 2013 12:35 PM

Thanks so much for your replies.... I'll give those methods a go.

What I'm looking for is a finish akin to beach glass.... that frosty, velvety look.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
dlcgems wrote
on 11 Mar 2013 4:03 PM

the courser the grit you run the stones on, the more "frosted" it will look.  Also depends on the hardness of the stone you are tumbling. are you tumbling a translucent material?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
rtucker6 wrote
on 11 Mar 2013 4:38 PM

No, not translucent (as of yet), but stones like Mexican Birdseye Rhyolite, some jaspers, things like that.  I have a vibe tumbler on its way and I do have some 'fine-cut plastic media' (little cone shapes) that RioGrande suggested.  At the time I just had a regular rotary tumbler which did nothing to achieve the finish.

I just need a jumping off point for the vibe -- I'll try the plastic media in it, but would like some suggestions as to what to fill it with other than that.  I know that people use walnut shells for metal, and that's about all I know.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS