using craft wire to make ear wires

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
bucky394 wrote
on 12 Feb 2013 1:26 AM

I have an old (Winter 2006) Step By Step Wire Jewelry magazine. There is an article by Gary Helwig on making "Two Easy Ear Wires." He recommends using only sterling, fine silver, gold-filled or solid gold wire to make ear wires because the chemicals used in dyed and colored wires may be carcinogenic. Is that true? Why wouldn't craft wire manufacturers be required to warn us not to use them as ear wires?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kat E wrote
on 19 Feb 2013 5:48 PM

Hi- I'm new here , but not new at making jewelry. Craft wire is not meant for use in jewelry. Whether or not it is carcinogenic --I don't have a clue-- but I do know many people have sensitivities to metals. Especially nickle, but also brass, bronze, and copper. A lot of people would not buy earrings unless they are made from silver or gold because they believe these metals will not cause reactions ( not necessarily true, BTW) . I use stainless steel in a lot of my jewelry and have never had anyone complain about allergic reactions, so if you want to save money and make your own ear wires-- try stainless wire. I buy mine at the hardware store. Hope this helps you.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bucky394 wrote
on 22 Feb 2013 1:26 AM

Thanks for your response. If you look at Jewelry Making Daily, you'll see that much jewelry is made with craft wire. I've often seen it used to wire wrap a cabochon.  It's a good medium to practice skills with. What is craft wire used for, in your experience? I will consider your suggestion to use stainless wire.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12
on 2 Jan 2014 7:34 PM

I'm with Kat E. 100% - you don't want to take a chance on using craft wire for ear wires. I also stay away from copper or brass for making ear wires - metal allergies are all too common.  I like craft wire for decorative coils for use in jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, etc.) - you can get some really pretty colors & effects!  Happy creating!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS