Hi from an old/new maker!

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Artois wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 11:06 AM

Hi All,

To explain my header line, I am preparing for retirement from the rat-race to do something I have always had an interest in but never had the time, making jewelry!

I have just invested in a superb wire roller and am looking for advice on a suitable gas/air torch to melt old/scrap jewelry down,

Can anyone help me please?

Kind regards,

Artois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 367
BogIron wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 4:51 PM

Welcome to retirement! and jewelry making.

First some information about reusing scrap jewelry for making your own wire and sheet, it needs to be free of solder. If you come across a hoard of Sterling silver jewelry that is out of style and you want to repurpse it into wire then it has to be free of solder or you are just making silver solder. You see the zinc that is in the silver solder will contaminate the whole mass of silver you have just  melted down to make wire and thus you have just made a whole lot of hard silver solder. Now what am I going to do with all of this scrap silver you may ask yourself? The answer is simple, you sell it to a refiner or trade to someone like Monster Slayer or Rio Grande Jewelry Supply and get store credit for it.

Now as to your next question about torches, I like the  Smith Handy Heet acetylene/air torch or any of the copies of the old Prest-O-Lite torch are good choices. You will need to buy one of the bigger tips to get a flame big enough to melt a large quantity of silver to roll out. The use of a rolling mill will only get you so far in the process of making wire, next is the draw plate and this is where you get it down to round and into one of the many smaller sizes required for jewelry making.

I hope what I have written has been of use to you and if you have more questions please ask.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS