Using Natural Pickle and Food Pans?

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
fleacinq wrote
on 15 Jan 2013 1:32 PM

I have been using a mixture of vinegar and salt to pickle my sterling silver.  It works great and only takes a few minutes.  I was under the impression that because the mixture was non-toxic that it would not be dangerous to use regular kitchen pans to dip the jewelry.  Am I mistaken, does this pose a hazard to the food cooked in these pans later on?  There are no visible signs of staining or changes in the pans.  They are non-stick sauce pans.  Please help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 371
BogIron wrote
on 15 Jan 2013 4:13 PM

I use just plain white vinegar in a small crock pot dedicated just for my jewelry work and never use it for food. One of the things that the pickling process does is remove small amounts of copper form the sterling silver and copper in higher concentrations is toxic to the human body. I just never want to take a chance of even remotely contaminating my kitchen utensils with minute traces of copper and besides it doesn't cost that much to buy a few separate things for the jewelers bench. If you are hard pressed for these additional items shop thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales, yard sale or whatever they are called in your area. Be safe with food preparation.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS