eBay vs. Etsy?

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
princesslizz wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 1:45 PM

I want to start selling my jewelry online but I'm not too sure where I should sell it. My dad says its better on eBay cause there's more "traffic" and lots of people know about it, but then I've heard Etsy is also good. I really don't know where I want to set my store up. Which one is better for selling handmade jewelry and why? (I need good points to convince my dad if I decide I want to sell in Etsy)Stick out tongue

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 39
danpv wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 5:16 AM

Welcome to the super-saturated world of selling jewelry online.  At last count, there were almost 3.9 million jewelry listings on Etsy alone.  Haven't checked eBay but my impression is that those in the know are more likely to shop Etsy for unusual handmade jewelry; while eBay is where I go for inexpensive supplies. 

No doubt some artisans sell on both, but on either site you will likely sell more pieces with lower priced (<$40) material unless your work is very unusual - in which case you may want to consider starting on Etsy where it's easy and inexpensive to begin, with the thought of also eventually having your own website.

You will need high-quality photos of your work to attract eyeballs.  Marketing is key and you can never do enough of that, so the more electronically social you are (twitter, facebook, etc,) the more visibility your work achieves.  This should translate into more sales especially in the lower price ranges.  

Good luck!

http://www.texturz.etsy.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
princesslizz wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 2:19 PM

alrighty! thanks so much! ((:

btw: I stopped by your online store... your work is amazing!! congrats(:

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
princesslizz wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 3:13 PM

Oh ok. I think i'm going with Etsy then(; thanks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8
kami87 wrote
on 23 Jan 2013 5:04 PM

www.storenvy.com is a good etsy alternative too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
princesslizz wrote
on 23 Jan 2013 6:37 PM

Well I'm barely starting so I have very few items but I will check this out. Thanks! (:

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
princesslizz wrote
on 6 Feb 2013 4:16 PM

I think I will be trying both and see which one works better for me. Later on if I have many pieces to sell I will consider designing my own website(: Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Malvegil wrote
on 9 Mar 2013 3:23 AM

maybe wix.com is something for you. Its a free website creator, and easy to use.

I used it to make my website: www.draupnir.biz

My etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/draupner

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
princesslizz wrote
on 9 Mar 2013 6:26 PM

thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS