How do I make jewelry like this?

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Honeylove8 wrote
on 28 Dec 2012 11:57 PM

Hello! I'm new to the forum. I would like to know how I make printed jewelry like this? I want to know how I get the image on the jewelry and how  it gets the glossy effect. What is the correct term for this type of jewelry. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 369
BogIron wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 4:35 PM

I could make something like those out of some silver I have on hand. I have some chain so I would solder it into a circle and then solder it to a domed circle of silver. Next would be the Virgin, tow ways to to that, one would be to look for some tin art and cut her out of that, the other way would be to search on line for enameled  ones liked pictured but that may not be easy. Now IF you are in for the long haul on jewelry making you can enroll in an enameling class and learn how to do that but I think it will be easier to look for some steel tins with the Virgin on them and cut them out. Next on the list of things to do is make two sizes of jump rings, Wrap silver wire around knitting needles and then with a jewelers saw cut them from the coil, if using tin art drill holes for the jump rings. Oh, I forgot to have you solder the posts on the domed  section do that now. Add all the jump rings and you should be just about done with a silver version of the ear rings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 941
TammyJones wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 5:52 PM

...and to get the domed, glossy effect on the art, you'd use resin. After it cures, you'll probably have to drill holes for the jump rings along the sides. Punching the holes before applying the resin and trying to keep the resin out of that many holes would be nearly impossible. Good luck!

Tammy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 369
BogIron wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 4:13 PM

That's a good idea to protect the tin art. I never think of resin as it is so far from what I consider "fine" art jewelry but that is a whole nother discussion isn't it?

I did see over the weekend a very nice enameled pin that had a Madonna and Child that was mass produced on mark down at one of the stores. I could have purchased two for less than $5 and they could have been made into ear rings something like this. The pins were not overly large, so if someone were to spend some time looking I bet they could find many "found" items in second stores and discount stores that could be used to makes similar items. Steampunkers do it all the time.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Uva wrote
on 19 Jan 2013 8:12 AM

The "printed" jewellery is basically made like this:

- you print out/cut out the picture/photo you want;

- you glue it to the base you have;

- you apply resin over.

There are some tricks, of course, how to prepare and apply resin, because this is the part which usually causes the most trouble. There are whole bunch of tutorials how to do that though. Good luck! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 6
on 29 Mar 2013 12:25 PM

You can also buy already made clear plastic bubble to put over art.  I don't know if they are made out of resin, or acrylic or a lucite with a mold.  But oyu can get them in just about any size and shape like 10 for a couple of bucks!  They even have llittle frames for earrings , pendants.

Then you can also add fibers to this method!  I would love to get into this. 

I for sure Firemountain gems sells these, and and Esty and E-bay.  If you need a coorect name, catalog number and picture let  me know.  I will find it for you.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS