Pins/closure for foam jewelry

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
savygirl wrote
on 17 Dec 2012 2:40 PM

I'm working on spray foam pieces, very non-traditional.  All are essentially an organic shape, like something that is found in nature. They are painted and decorated with varies add-ons - rhinestones, gold leaf, just a lot of random pieces. 

The problem that I am facing is how to add findings with these pieces.  Some will be neckaces and some brooches/pins.  As an artist and metal worker, I find myself not wanting to use pre-made pin backs.  However, I cannot think of any other way to make a pin back or find one when the piece is foam.  Is it a cop-out to use a pin back from a craft store and glue?  Will that make it more of a novelty item rather than a piece of art?  This has stalled my project because I cannot figure out how to finish with findings.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 992
TammyJones wrote
on 17 Dec 2012 3:41 PM

Hi savygirl, unique stuff! I'm not very familiar with spray foam, but if I can assume what it's like from its name, it sounds like you'd spray it out (soft, liquid stage) and then it hardens, is that right? If so, for pendants at least, can you insert wire loops or bails of some sort into the foam before it hardens, so that you don't have to deal with attaching them to it later with glue? You could create a variety of unique shapes and just let them "cure" inside the foam. Just an idea.

For brooches, if you want to avoid craft-store pinbacks and glue, maybe you can create your own pinbacks (here's a project for how to make them that you could modify: http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2011/12/05/specialized-silversmithing-skills-how-to-make-a-brooch-pin-catch.aspx). You could make pinbacks like these, solder them to a flat plate, and adhere that plate to the backs of your pieces or even imbed them into the backs of your pieces before they cure or attach with more spray foam for a seamless hidden look.

These are just my initial thoughts. I hope they are helpful!

Thanks for being part of JMD!
Tammy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
savygirl wrote
on 18 Jan 2013 11:50 AM

Thank you Tammy, I appreciate your help.  I apologize for not responding earlier.  I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't find my own post!  Finally I found it.

Spray foam is used in insulation (like around windows) and it expands.  I started with fairly small globs and they increased in size by about three times.  They have interesting folds, and then i sanded out certain areas.  It is kind of hard to explain and I'm sure to picture.  If I can, I'll try to take some pictures.

You have really gotten me thinking (thank you for that!) and I'm inspired to start this weekend.  Considering I've had these for nearly two years and have only managed to paint them, I need the push.

Thank you again,

Kelly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 992
TammyJones wrote
on 24 Jan 2013 11:45 AM

You're welcome Kelly and thank you for sharing! I'd love to see photos.

Tammy

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS