Where can I find blank jewelry stamps/findings?

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
xraychick01 wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 4:28 PM

I'm looking for silver, brass or gold, and copper blank metal stamps or I think they're also referred to as findings.  I want to make personalized jewelry and hand stamp them.  Thanks so much!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 949
TammyJones wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 4:34 PM

Hi xraychick01,

Beaducation is a great source for metal stamping blanks (that's what you'll want to look for on their site, not findings--findings are things like ear wires jump rings, head pins, etc.). They have the largest selection that I know of, so hopefully you'll find what you like!

Tammy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
xraychick01 wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 5:25 PM

Ah, yes they have several things like what I had in mind!  Thank you so much!
Do you know where I can find some like the silver bar tag and oxidized heart in this pic (which is courtesy of TagYoureItJewelry on etsy)?  I like the look of those pieces...would that be called "hammerd?"  I'm new to the hobby so I'm still learning :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 949
TammyJones wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 5:34 PM

Oh good. You're welcome! And welcome to jewelry-making.

Yes, the heart is considered hammered or just textured. It's also domed/dapped (folks seem to use those words interchangeably). I would suspect that the heart is a regular heart-shaped blank that the designer has domed in a dapping blog and then used a patina product like liver of sulfur to get those dark oxidized areas. She might have also just sawed the heart out of sheet copper herself.

For the bar, that looks like a piece of flat wire (or heavy-gauge wire that has been hammered flat and wide). It's such a simple piece to make that it might not be available as a blank, but I'm just guessing about that. I know that Beaducation has swivel bar blanks that are two- or four-sided similar to this piece. If you got them, you could always hammer the edges to get the hammered look of this piece.

Just a side note, in case you don't know this yet: See how nice and dark those letters look? You can achieve that look by using patina like liver of sulfur on the metal after you stamp it. You just paint it on and then rub and buff it off; it comes off the smooth areas but goes down into and stays in the stamped and hammered areas, helping those details show up better. FYI, just in case you didn't know about that yet! Also, we have a free metal-stamping video tutorial that you might like to see:

http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/metal-stamping-jewelry/

Hope this all helps!

Tammy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
xraychick01 wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 5:46 PM

Thank you so much for the info!  It's greatly appreciated.  It seems that there is a lot one can do to customize a piece of metal for jewelry :)  I actually read about the liver of sulfur today.

I'm excited to give this hobby a try! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 949
TammyJones wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 5:48 PM

You're right and you're very welcome! Let us know if you need anything else!
Tammy

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS