just beginning

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
jessream wrote
on 18 Nov 2012 9:23 PM

Hi,

I am just getting started with working with metaI and looking for any advice on beginning to create metal rings. I am not sure what kind of metal to purchase, and the art store in town carries a number of different types of wire, as well as metal sheets.  Im not sure which to purchase to experiement with making rings. I am not wanting to include any stones into the designs, only use metal.  Also what type of soder should I buy to use with the different types of metal.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thank

Jess

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 369
BogIron wrote
on 19 Nov 2012 5:19 PM

Typically rings are made of silver, gold and platinum, but I know that as a beginner the most common metal is usually Sterling silver. I leave the more expensive gold, platinum and other exotic metals to the big time jewelers and stick with silver. I also on occasion make forged copper rings and bracelets but the big draw back with copper is the turning the skin green, not much fun for most folk. You can forge Sterling silver so that solder is no necessary, I normally use 12 gauge round wire for this and if I going to soldering rings up out os sheet I personally like to use 20 gauge. It takes texture nicely, is not so thick that if you solder two sheets of it together it will be uncomfortable. I sometimes will make a pierced design on one section of sheet and then solder it to anther or add a wire design to the sheet. There are just a lot of options for making rings without stones.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS