Holding old jewelry piece in place while using dremel tool

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 13
on 11 Nov 2012 9:30 AM

I am using a Dremel tool to remove backings from old pieces of costume jewelry.  Can anyone recommend a tool to hold the pieces steady as I use the dremel on them?  I have tried a weighted "third hand" but its not working very well because the dremel hits the clamps and nicks them, and also the metal on the clamp will damage the piece if I don't cushion with a scrap of something like rubber.  Would a vise work better? 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
tourmaline wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 2:41 PM

Try the smaller hand-held ring holder type vices. They often have rubber or leather lined jaws so as not to damage or nick metal.  They come in plastic and wood models and are available at all jewelry supply shops.  They either have a screw to tighten the jaws or a wedge shape piece of wood. They only open so far, but I suspect you are not working with huge pieces (?)

I is about 6-7" long with one end larger, flared, or bulbous shaped.

I just googled ring clamp vice and got pictures and sources.

good luck

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 154
mirkaba wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 10:30 AM

I love my old Bulova Roto-Vise. Totally adjustable with plastic lined jaws. It is bolted to a stump in my work room. I found it on Ebay for less than 20.00 shipped. I don't think they make them any more.

Gathering dust in Montana.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 13
on 13 Nov 2012 7:59 PM

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused.  If I use the ring clamp vise, then is there a way to hold it steady with a bench vise so my two hands are free to work on the piece?  Or would I simply use a bench vise by itself if I had one?  

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 13
on 13 Nov 2012 7:59 PM

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused.  If I use the ring clamp vise, then is there a way to hold it steady with a bench vise so my two hands are free to work on the piece?  Or would I simply use a bench vise by itself if I had one?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 154
mirkaba wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 2:09 PM

I have done both.

Gathering dust in Montana.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS