Soldering Rhinestone Chain

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Eirini M wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 10:31 AM

I wish to make large brooches and will be using rhinestone cup chain with added single rhinestones in prong settings. I need to solder all of these together. Everytime I begin, the chain moves around immediately making it almost impossible as I need to keep the design secure.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep the whole pieces still? Should I make a mold? (although i would need to make one for each design, as they all differ) What's is most efficient way to solder these larger amounts of chain together relatively quickly?    Should I opt for epoxy instead of solder? Will it hold well?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 13
on 19 Nov 2012 9:58 PM

Try using what is called a "third hand" to hold your piece secure, or use two small clamps (from a hardware store) and the clamps will weight the piece down and hold it.  In a beading store you can buy something like a third hand which is meant for working on chains and it suspends the chain in air between two clamps.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 6 Jan 2014 6:28 AM

Hi, I know you posted this a few months back, but I thought I'd tell you a handy tip that was passed onto me from one of the owners of a factory that produces Rhinestone costume jewelery in the Czech republic. They actually use a special clay and press the chain into it, it doesn't move then and the clay doesn't conduct heat well (which is a good thing). He told me I could use simple modelling clay for a easily available substitute and I've found it works really well. You should give that a shot.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS