28 gauge jump rings???

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
JaimeD@2 wrote
on 2 Apr 2012 5:16 PM

i simply can not find 28 gauge jump rings anywhere! i am currently redesigning a pearl necklace. taking it from your traditional strand, and making a 124 inch necklace with 2 inch spaced pearls. so she can loop it around and such. the chain she chose...the links are so minute!!! anyone have any suggestions?????

thank you!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 936
TammyJones wrote
on 2 Apr 2012 5:36 PM

Hi Jaime,

You probably won't find 28-gauge jump rings because, in most cases, 28-gauge wire is too thin/weak for jump rings. You can make your own (I'll post directions below if you don't know how), but I'd caution against that, unless you take the extra time to harden each one... even then, if you keep it flexible/soft enough to use it, it will be flexible/soft enough to come apart easily during wearing and the necklace won't be secure. You'd have to make the jump rings, assemble the chain, and then harden them one by one, in place--which would be very difficult to do without harming the pearls or the rest of the chain. Sorry to bring bad news! Someone else might weigh in with a better response...

Here's a blog that includes a tutorial on how to make your own jump rings:

http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2011/06/15/my-great-chain-maille-adventure-part-one-making-jump-rings.aspx

Good luck!

Tammy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JaimeD@2 wrote
on 2 Apr 2012 7:22 PM

no, you're exactly right, and i know better!!! lololololol. i thought there might be a process i was unaware of in which to harden them enough for wear and tear;). what it really boils down to is i am trying to save $$$$ and utilize the chain i have on hand...which of course is waaaay too minute..boo hoo!

thank you soooo much for your time in responding~! i believe i'm going to use a snake chain and cut down on my labor time...just crimp and go! ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 936
TammyJones wrote
on 3 Apr 2012 8:56 AM

:o) You're welcome. Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS