Plating found objects

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
mary caddie wrote
on 27 Feb 2012 12:55 AM

Has any one done any electroplating?  If so, what type of rectifier did you use and what were the specifics I would need to buy if I purchased one?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,016
TammyJones wrote
on 27 Feb 2012 9:18 AM

Hi Mary, You've come to the right place! We just released a free video tutorial about this on Friday, to show you the products you'd need for electroplating/electroforming. You can read more about it and get to it from here:

http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2012/02/24/electroforming-jewelry-equipment-and-supplies-for-copper-plating.aspx

Also you can learn more about electroforming here:

http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2011/11/14/metal-magic-electroforming-organic-and-other-materials-for-jewelry-making.aspx

Good luck!
Tammy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 106
Tom and Kay wrote
on 28 Feb 2012 10:59 AM

Hi Mary, Thanks for your question - will have your response posted shortly.  We'd also like to include your question in our in-print column in the magazine.  Please email your city and state to us at:  kbenham@cfl.rr.com.  Thanks for your question.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
emosupremo wrote
on 11 Feb 2013 7:54 PM

Thank you for your question Mary,

Can anyone suggest the right Rio Grande rectifier for coating cloisonne wires on a bracelet or brooch? Would it be impolite to 'bump' this because I had the same question as Mary and no one answered her. Why is it so difficult to get a real answer on how big a rectifier is needed for example applications? The title of this thread was my question also and the references (and the free video on electroplating) are silent or 'not interested' in the electrical side's specifics.

Looking in a text book might be hazardous because new products, new solution etc. can drastically influence how people 'normally' perform tasks. Ah, progress.   I emailed Rio and received no response yet. I tried the US and British enameling societies. Yahoo and Google. 

Judging by the date Mary, neither did you. Thanks for raising it though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 106
Tom and Kay wrote
on 20 Feb 2013 3:52 PM

Hi Mary, we thank you for getting back to us and humbly apologize for not posting our response before this.  We did publish your question and our response in our September 2012 column.  We're hoping you did see the September 2012 issue.  Here's our response:

Keep in mind that electroplating covers a wide-range of metal plating processes onto various base metals and each requires different chemicals and sequences of events.  Rio Grande, www.riogrande.com, 800.545.655 offers Plating for Jewelers Book and DVD Set for $50 or just the book for less than $20 which describes the various processes in detail and what equipment and chemicals are need..  After reading through the book and viewing the DVDs you should have a better idea of what direction you wish to pursue and the equipment and chemicals that best suit your needs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 106
Tom and Kay wrote
on 20 Feb 2013 3:59 PM

Hi!  Tom and Kay here.  We did hear back from Mary and did include her question about electroplating and our response in our September 2012 column.  We just failed to update the Forum.  Here's our response:

Keep in mind that electroplating covers a wide-range of metal plating processes onto various base metals and each requires different chemicals and sequences of events.  Rio Grande, www.riogrande.com, 800.545.655 offers Plating for Jewelers Book and DVD Set for $50 or just the book for less than $20 which describes the various processes in detail and what equipment and chemicals are need..  After reading through the book and viewing the DVDs you should have a better idea of what direction you wish to pursue and the equipment and chemicals that best suit your needs.

If you still require more information on electroplating please feel free to post again.  We are unsure what metal you are working with and how you want to plate it.  If you wish to have your question published in our column please contact us directly at kbenham@cfl.rr.com and we ask that you include your name, city and state, too.  Thanks for your interest.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS