Sauter metals

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
MonaMcC wrote
on 21 Oct 2011 10:37 AM

I've been making strung-bead jewelry and know the basics there.  I also make stained glass windows and know the process there.  I want to integrate the stained glass into my jewelry making but so far have not been able to find a ring (jump ring of sorts) to sauter on to the piece I'm making to enable it to hang from a chain.  Is there a certain type of metal that is used for this?  I've got tons of ideas to get started on but am at a standstill until I figure this out.  I've ordered a glass drill bit to just drill holes into the glass but everything in my ideas don't need holes.  Can anyone point me in the right direction

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 899
TammyJones wrote
on 21 Oct 2011 10:41 AM

Hi Mona! Welcome to JMD.

I would think that stainless steel or any base metal jump ring would work, because the solder you use for stained glass isn't as hot as the solder used in jewelry, so the rings shouldn't melt or be harmed in the process. I wouldn't bother with sterling silver since the rest of the solder around the glass isn't sterling. Have you tried any jump rings so far that didn't work? If so, which metals have you tried and what problems did you encounter?

Tammy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 182
SEllen 2 wrote
on 22 Nov 2011 12:23 PM

Just bumping up to get the spammer off the top of the page.

Have a great jewelry making day!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

http://Suzdesigns.ShopHandmade.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS