How do I make a perfect curve for my ear wires?

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Annie@131 wrote
on 8 Sep 2011 9:56 PM

I have been trying to make ear wires that are gently curved. These are long earrings and the ear wires are bent in the middle at a sharp angle. The length of each side is about 2 1/2 inches long. I take a piece of 20 ga wire and bend it in the middle and then try to curve one 2 1/2 inch side and then the other by bending it over a rounded surface. But what I need is a gentle curved surface of some sort. My bends are not smooth. Is there a trick to this? Thanks anyone who knows how to do this.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 183
SEllen 2 wrote
on 10 Sep 2011 10:54 AM

Hi Annie,

All I can tell you is when I make mine I use my fingures to smooth out the wire as I go along. I also use a pen ( I have some that are regular sized and one that is rather large) with the soft grip pad as a jig. I find that the wire rolls smoother over these sort than on others and the grip holds the wire in place and it doesn't slip.

When using your fingures just be real gentle with the pressure you use while shaping. You don't need much or it will form a hard bend.

The only trick is practise.

I hope this was of some help. And if anyone has better advise please post.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

http://Suzdesigns.ShopHandmade.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Annie@131 wrote
on 10 Sep 2011 2:17 PM

Thanks. I was hoping there was a magic trick to making smooth wires.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
secretid wrote
on 30 Jan 2013 1:41 PM

wrap the hook part partway around a pencil, a Sharpie, brush handle, or what have you. Then bend the end out. Voila!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on 3 Feb 2013 9:23 PM

I start by taking the wire and bending it around my bracelet mandrel and tapping it with a rawhide malet. Then I pick where the sharp bend will be, the part that will be through the ear when worn, and bend that part around a wooden dowel I got at Home Depot. Then I lay the wire on my steel bench block and tap it with the rawhide mallet, this makes it straight and hardens the wire a bit so the curves I made will stay when you are messing with it to put them in your ear.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS