Does anyone have any extra jewelry making supplies?

This post has 7 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Xalexia wrote
on 17 Feb 2011 9:44 AM

I am not sure if I am even allowed to post this here but my husband has been out of work for a while due to lay offs and neither of us have been able to find jobs. Jewelry making has always been a passion for me but I don't have the funds to buy the supplies. So I was wondering if anyone had any extra stuff laying around that they won't be using and could be kind enough to help me out. I would like to be able to make some things and sell them to bring a little income in for us and our 1 year old son. Thank you for your time!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
flwrchyk wrote
on 17 Feb 2011 6:16 PM

Hi, I'm Linda

And I would Love to share some of my extras with you, I have been beading for over 30 years so I have way too much

...and its a perfect time for spring cleaning

you can contact me at ljstuff@live.ca and let me know where you live, and maybe what type of beads you like to use, and

some favorite colors

Best Wishes, Linda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12
on 24 Feb 2011 9:04 AM

Hi,

I know how it is.. I can't find a job either...Things will get better.I know someone that sell items on ebay for income, you can try that too. E mail me at capcooler3@yahoo.com Let me know where to send the supplies..I don't have much, but I will see what I can do.. If everyone sends a few things It could start you up... Good luck to you and many sales to the first woman that worte you back.. It will come back to you.

Sandy

Jewels for Hope

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Xalexia wrote
on 25 Mar 2011 7:32 AM

I am mainly looking for stuff like any kinds of beads, metal  spacers, charms anything like that...that anyone can spare :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pearl.jewel wrote
on 8 Jun 2011 1:23 AM

Aaaah! I know how it is. The recession has hit us hard. Good that you plan to start you own thing and make you own jewellery. I found some really cheap and genuine pearls at http://www.pearlnecklacecenter.com/ Trust is the most important thing when you start your new business. I have always trusted them for genuineness and low prices.

Good Luck!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on 28 Feb 2013 8:56 AM

Hi Xalexia,

I can't help you with supplies from my "stash" as I am still trying to obtain things myself- BUT... To keep my budget from going over the top, I also do a lot of "found items" jewelry and accessories.

Any old rubber coated wire... strip it off or even use it as it is for a base- Some really great stuff from this!

Also, my son plays the guitar and I always take his old guitar strings and the little "beads" that hold them on to use as spacers...

old game pieces... a great treasure here to use- use as is or alter them with paint, wrapped kitchen foil around, etc

marbles- check out how to get the crackle glass effect with basic marbles and then wire wrap them (cage them) to make your own very unique beads and focal pieces

Always, always, I keep bottle caps- so funny what has become the rage in the last few years are things I did as a kid and then have relied heavily on when I first started making things 20+ years ago... Again, a bit of paint, glue, glitter, etc to alter how you like

Old shirts, worn out clothes of any type that can't be handed down or sold... I remove all metal findings from jeans, buttons, clasps, etc and even sometimes the design in the shirt itself... cut strips and wrap with other fibers and wire to make beads yourself-

Oh! & clothes with sequins, beads, rhinestones, etc...  don't discount yard sales and thrift shops to find items at a great reduction in cost for all that you can use them for!

Paperbeads also are a big hit again and can be made so easily- the different glazes or varnishes used really make them look almost glass-like

found tools/hardware findings- as beads, focal pieces, clasps, etc- again- use as is or alter them in many ways

Old belts/ purse straps to use as a base for bracelets/chokers, etc! I will take an old very worn purse and cut the leather/pleather away from the outside to use as a base for bead embroidery- You will be amazed sometimes just what is under that shell of your old purse!

Cereal, cracker, pasta boxes- cut unique shapes from the cardboard and then layer up with glue, tissue paper, paint, etc- then coat with Future, mod podge, glaze and a sealer- makes for a great focal piece as well!

I still love making things with "found items" and it is one thing that I can always turn to when I get bored of the same ol' same ol' routine...

Many more ways and ideas of things around your house to use! Really you can make some very lovely pieces with the minimum amount of money needed... I wish you luck!

~Luv

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS