I need advice

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 6 Feb 2011 10:14 PM

How do I get a tight fit between bead and crimp? It looks good and then when I am done there is a gap that shows wire  I HATE THAT looks so unprofessional

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 367
BogIron wrote
on 9 Feb 2011 2:12 PM

I think I know what you're talking about. When I first started beading I would make sure that there wasn't any gap what so ever between the last bead and the crimp bead, that turned out to be a not so good of an idea. Why? It didn't let the necklace lay naturally, it was very stiff and had no give to it. An older and more experienced beader showed me that I needed to leave a gap of anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4", sometimes more, between the last bead and the crimp bead to get the necklace to lay really nice on the neck line. If the necklace is weighted correctly you will not see this gap in the back of the  hair line. I sure hope this is the gap you're talking about.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 182
SEllen 2 wrote
on 9 Feb 2011 5:38 PM

Don't ya just hate that.Sad

What kind of crimper are you using? The one with the 2 slots that forms a "U" and then you use crimp covers? The reason I ask is because I used that type for along time and had the same problem.

Then someone mentioned a crimper tool called Magical Crimping Pliers. I think I got mine at http://www.artbeads.com  there are differant sizes depending on size of your beading wire.  I think you can find them at most bead stores. It has one round slot that you put your crimp bead in and instead of making a "U" shape this one just rounds the crimp bead like a ravioli and you just turn and gently squeeze to make it round. It looks just like a regular bead.

The tip of  the tool is smaller and I can get a better grip on my wire and pull tighter. The other crimper tools tip was too wide to get a good grip on the wire and it would leave a larger gap. Like BogIron said I leave  about 1/4th to 1/8th of an inch to leave room for movement. Since I found the better tool I haven't had problems with the ends being too loose. And since it looks just like a regular bead I don't use crimp covers any more.

Here's a tip someone gave me if you have too wide a gap use your crimp covers to fill in the space. Just use them directly around the beading wire.

Good Luck with your crimps.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

http://Suzdesigns.ShopHandmade.com

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Tina.b wrote
on 11 Feb 2011 10:04 PM

I totally know what your saying. I get that too when I crimp, however I really like using those crimp covers because they really finish off a design and it hides all the mechanics inside the beautiful spacer. I would invest in those because they are super. Some people hate using them, but after learning how to apply them it's really easy and makes your design look expensive.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS