Make Colorful Wrapped Wire Teardrop Earrings with Swarovski Crystals

28 Mar 2011

Tammy Jones editor Jewelry Making Daily

Tammy Jones is the
editor of Jewelry Making Daily.

This bright and cheerful wire-wrapping, wire-coiling teardrop earring project was designed by Lindsay Burke for Fusion Beads.

Make them in a jewelry-box full of colors or use any combination of one, two, or a few colors that you like.

Tools and Materials:

(4) 6mm amethyst graphic cubes
   (2) 9mm x 6mm indicolite drop beads
   (2) 20mm sterling silver flat ear wires
chain-nose pliers
flush cutters

Steps:

1. Anchor a 3' length of wire to the right side of a teardrop component by wrapping it around the component twice.

2. Add an indicolite crystal drop bead, and anchor the wire by wrapping it around the component twice. The bead should rest on the inside lip of the component.

3. Add a 4mm lime round bead and anchor the wire by wrapping it around the component twice. The bead should rest on the inside lip of the component.

4. Repeat in the same manner, adding a 6mm amethyst crystal graphic cube bead and anchor it. Then add a 4mm Indian pink crystal round bead and anchor it to the component.

5. Add a 3mm fuchsia crystal bicone to the wire.

6. Begin adding beads in the opposite direction. Thread the wire through the loop created from the 4mm fuchsia bead in the previous row.

7. Pull the wire taut.

8. Add a 4mm blue zircon crystal round bead, and thread the wire through the loop created from the amethyst crystal graphic cube. Pull the wire taut.

9. Add a 4mm olivine crystal round bead and a 3mm Indian pink crystal bicone, and thread the wire through the loop created from the 4mm lime crystal round bead. Pull the wire taut.

10. Add a 4mm Indian red crystal round bead, a 3mm topaz crystal bicone, and a 4mm Indian pink crystal round bead, and anchor the wire around the component by wrapping it around twice.

11. Add a 6mm amethyst crystal graphic cube bead to the wire.

12. Begin adding beads in the opposite direction. Thread the wire through the loop created from the beads in Step 10, putting the wire between the 4mm Indian red bead and the 3mm topaz bead. Pull the wire taut.

13. Add a 3mm blue zircon crystal bicone, and thread the wire through the loop created form the amethyst crystal graphic cube from Step 12. Pull the wire taut.

14. Add a 4mm olivine crystal round bead, and pull the wire around the amethyst crystal graphic cube. Anchor the wire to the component by wrapping it around twice.

15. Cover the component by wrapping the wire tightly around the component.

16. Continue wrapping the component completely with the rest of the wire. Trim both ends of the wire closely to the component.

17. Add a 4.8mm jump ring to the top of the component and close.

18. Use the 3.3mm jump ring to attach the jump ring in the last step to the ear wire and close. Repeat Steps 1-18 for the other earring.

Lovely, aren't they? They'll add a cheerful splash of color to any spring or summer outfit. For more fun and stylish wire jewelry projects, subscribe to Step by Step Wire Jewelry. Each issue is packed with wire-jewelry projects from top designers in the industry, along with wire basics and the latest information about wirework tools and products.

Resources: All beads and findings from FusionBeads.com.

Related Posts
+ Add a comment

Comments

grammajojo wrote
on 30 Mar 2011 9:51 AM

This is great!!!  Thanks so much for all the free ideas and tips.  Love JMD!!!

TammyJones wrote
on 30 Mar 2011 1:23 PM

Yay! You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoy it! I sure love providing it!

Jorjettee wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 4:17 AM

Wonderful! I like them very much!!

PamT@20 wrote
on 2 Apr 2011 7:23 AM

Where can you find the teardrop shaped components?

TammyJones wrote
on 4 Apr 2011 1:03 PM

Hey Pam, everything for this project came from our friends at FusionBeads.com. Enjoy!

sweetpretty wrote
on 12 Apr 2011 10:23 AM

Tammy, these are gorgeous! I made a pair very similar to these myself a few months ago and used sterling wire-- and the design of mine has the crystals spread out a little more so that more wire shows in between them, and the wire is then wrapped around the frame like yours as well.

Problem is, they are now badly tarnished... it would be really difficult and time consuming to clean them with a silver cleaning cloth (and I'm not sure it would get the little areas between crystals), but I'm afraid to use a dipping cleanser with the crystals... can you dip them, or do you have another cleaning idea?? Thanks!!!

TammyJones wrote
on 12 Apr 2011 10:32 AM

Hi sweetpretty, thank you! I wish I could take credit for these pretties but they were made for us my friends at FusionBeads.com. I'm glad you like them! As for cleaning, I don't know how the crystals would fare in silver jewelry cleaner so I'd be afraid to dip them; you might want to take one crystal and drop it in for a few minutes (or however long your cleaner suggests leaving jewelry) and see how it comes out. If you don't see any cloudiness or discoloration, it would probably be safe to dip them. A safe option is one I used recently in a pinch--I just scrubbed a silver ring with a toothbrush and baking soda. The abrasion of the baking soda and the bristles were just enough friction to clean in the tight areas, so it might work between the crystals on yours. There's also the old aluminum foil trick, do you know about that? I don't recall the particulars but if you Google something like "clean silver aluminum foil" you'll probably find it. The idea is that you put foil in a sink (but maybe not stainless sinks? I forget...) and add hot water (I think), and then when you dip silver, the tarnish literally moves from the silver to the foil. Magic! Should be safe as well, but I still think I'd test with just one crystal, just to be safe. I'd hate to ruin such a pretty piece of jewelry!

Thanks for your question and thanks for reading JMD!

Mary prowitt wrote
on 16 Sep 2011 1:59 PM

Looks great            Can't wait to try

anna@183 wrote
on 17 Sep 2011 1:58 AM

nice one

berry1010 wrote
on 17 Sep 2011 6:03 AM

I made these earing and always get compliments when I wear them. It was not that hard, I just followed the directions and they turned out great.

roxiesMom wrote
on 17 Sep 2011 10:18 PM

Dear Sweetpretty,  Have you ever thought of an anti-tarnish jewelry box? You can find one on QVC.  They are jewelry savers.  I'm going on my third and love them.  It keeps you from having to "clean" your jewelry.  Love this earring idea too.  Don't forget you can make your own teardrop shape with a heavier gauge wire.  I'd try 16 or 18.  Have fun wrapping.